Fred is the head of the firm’s construction and surety practice with extensive experience in the litigation of private and public construction and surety disputes. He has tried several multi-million dollar cases before federal and state courts, boards of contract appeals and construction arbitration panels. He has also participated in numerous successful mediations throughout the country.
Fred has represented surety and construction clients on a wide variety of projects. These have included co-generation power facilities, industrial, institutional and commercial construction, IT infrastructure projects and underground utility construction.
In addition to litigation, arbitration and mediation, his practice includes claim preparation and defense, contract preparation and negotiation, project counseling, surety “work-out” arrangements and assisting clients with project record-keeping and disputes avoidance.
Fred also regularly lectures before trade association groups and surety clients.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D. 1992)
- Hamilton College (B.A. 1989, Magna Cum Laude, Departmental Honors)
Bar Memberships and Court Admissions
- Virginia (1992)
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida (2012)
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (1996)
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia (1992)
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (1998)
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit (1992)
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit (1997)
- United States Court of Federal Claims (1995)
- Centex Construction Co. v. Acstar Ins. Co., 448 F.Supp.2d 697 (E.D. Va. 2006)
- Fidelity and Deposit Co. of Md. v. State Dept. of Admin. Svcs., 830 A. 2d 1224 (Del. Ch. 2003)
- “Recent Changes in Public and Private Construction Law” (NECA D.C. Chapter 1996)
- “Protecting the Surety’s Rights to Contract Balances from the IRS” (F&D Second Annual Claims Seminar 1996)
- “Preserving, Proving and Pricing Construction Claims” (NECA D.C. Chapter 1997, MWRTBA 1997, Keystone Contractor’s Association 1997)
- “Getting Paid for Labor Productivity Losses” (NECA 1998)
- “Getting What You Need and Keeping It: A Primer on Subcontract Negotiation and Administration” (ECAC 1999)
- “Taking ADR Seriously” (NECA 2000)
- “Pre-Bid Risk Assessment” (NECA 2001)
- Surety Case Study (U.S. Surety Company Claims Seminar 2004)
- “The Engine That Drives the Project” (DBIA National Convention 2005)
- Surety Case Study (U.S. Surety Company Claims Seminar 2006)
- “Contracts and Contract Documents” (NECA Project Management Training Seminar 2006)